Musings from a promise-collector

These thoughts are excerpts from my journal from my trip to India:

December 1

Sitting in the airport, I began to get butterflies in my stomach. Not from being nervous – I think it was pure excitement! Now that I got on the plane, they’re gone. I shot a quick email off to the Tolars about the potential problem getting my boarding pass once I reach Chicago. The ticket lady couldn’t check me in on the rest of my flights, only the first leg, for some reason. But I have my prayer team alerted, so I am not worried.

The wait at O’Hare was long, but eventually I found the team from Kansas. It was nice to have some company in the airport. Sadly, I didn’t get to sit by any of them on the flight to Germany though. But I did get to sit by a nice Christian man.

On the flight, I attempted to sleep, but it did not happen. I spent time instead praying on the armor of God and asking Him to surround me with His angels. I knew I needed the extra protection since I was getting tired – I could feel myself getting cranky on the plane and that is a sure sign of exhaustion.

December 2…I think?

It it 12:30am at home. It’s 7:30am in German. My body is a tad confused about what time it is and where I am. We have a long wait in this airport – about 5 hours. For a long time, we were the only ones at the gate. We found some seats that looked so wonderfully comfortable since they were reclined. But once we sat, we were disappointed. They were at such a weird angle, that they actually proved to be almost uncomfortable. Fail.

After our long wait, we finally boarded our last flight – next stop, Chennai! I sat by a very sweet Indian couple who know very little English. I’m glad that smiles translate into every language! And thankfully I got a couple of hours of sleep on the plane. Amazing what a little nap can do!

December 3, the early hours

We arrived in Chennai at midnight, thrilled to be off the plane! Isaac met us in the airport near the baggage claim. He brought a whole group with him to meet us with a huge welcome banner, jasmine flowers tied into a lei-type-thing, and water bottles! What a welcome! And it helped us smell better, too!

I quickly noticed how crowded the airport was, inside and outside. And the heat – before we even got outside, I could feel the heat and humidity, and quickly took off the jacket I had been traveling with.

It took about an hour to get from the airport to the house, and we arrived there about 3am. By the time we arrived there, it had been 30-plus hours of traveling since I left Knoxville, TN. First thing on my mind: a shower! Oh to be clean!  Hopefully sleep will come quickly! Thank you Jesus for a safe, easy trip!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Tag Cloud

%d bloggers like this: