Cracker Bark (otherwise known as Saltine Toffee Cookies) is a wonderfully easy treat that has become a huge hit in this house! It totally fulfills the sweet-tooth craving when the urge hits. After getting some as a gift, we looked up the recipe on allrecipes.com to get the exact directions, and found the specifics here.
- 4 ounces saltine crackers (enough to cover the bottom of a pan)
- 1 cup butter (we’ve found that 1/2 cup also works)
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Spray cookie sheet with cooking spray and line cookie sheet with saltine crackers in single layer.
- In a saucepan combine the sugar and the butter. Bring to a boil and boil for 3 minutes. Immediately pour over saltines and spread to cover crackers completely.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips over the top. Let sit for 5 minutes. Spread melted chocolate and add optional chopped nuts. Cool completely and break into pieces.
If you want it to cool off quickly, place pan in a freezer. Then we use a wooden mallet (or meat tenderizer) to break the pieces apart.
Store in a sealed container in the freezer or refrigerator.
I dare you to not eat half of the pan in one sitting!